Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Week 17: 101 Dalmatians (1961)

I have always loved 101 Dalmatians.

I remember at one point in my childhood that I wanted to own 101 Dalmatian toys. Inevitably the plan didn't get past my parents and I settled for something like a dozen miniature Dalmatian stuffed animals and figurines, but the idea was out there.

I also, after the live-action release, owned a Dalmatian for a short time. As my family came to learn, however, Dalmatians are difficult to own and often prone to health issues (mine suffered from dwarfism and retardation). Add that the to the fact the she did not get along with my other dog, who came first, and she was out. Daisy, our Dalmatian, was sent to a "Dalmatian Farm," a story I allowed myself to tell for almost a decade before it gave me pause. It was my freshman year of college that it finally hit me, I was one of those classic sitcom characters who had been duped into believing his/her dog was sent to a farm, when in reality the dog was euthanized. I immediately took to calling my mom to set the record straight and, much to my surprise, the story I had always known was legitimate. After the theatrical release of 101 Dalmatians starring Glenn Close a lot of people went out and bought Dalmatians only to learn what my family had learned - Dalmatians are high maintenance! So little Dalmatian rescues were opened all of the country to accommodate the influx of Dalmatians being given up.

In other words, I don't know how Anita and Roger took on 101 Dalmatians, but maybe they weren't alone in opening a "Dalmatian Plantation..."

The movie, though, is great. I may eat my words later, but I sincerely feel that of all the animated animal films Disney created, this and The Lion King are the two standouts.

For this week's entry, I'm just going to go through and point to the highlights, which begin with the opening sequence, because how true is it that dogs and their owners just fit?

  • The sequence of Pongo looking for a possible match for him and Roger is perfect.
  • As a kid I was always troubled at how Roger and Anita were knocked into the lake by Pongo, because that's just how I operated and I think that says a lot about me.
  • Pongo and Perdita getting married as Roger and Anita exchange vows is adorable. 
  • When the puppies are born I love that Roger is able to revive Lucky. Watching it this time around I was surprised at how much suspense was built up in that scene! Also have to give a shout out to Purdy for having puppies during a dramatic rainstorm. 
  • Cruella is a classic villain. Her drive isn't made as clear in the cartoon as in the live-action film, but I supposed when you have Glenn Close you have to turn her into the star of the film. Either way, her antics are both theatrical and amusing and that's about as best as you can get. Her driving is another highlight.
  • The dogs' fixation with watching TV is such a spot-on observation. I loved it when my dog, Holly, used to get transfixed by the screen. And I can't lie, that "Kanine Krunchies" jingle sticks with you.
  • Everything about the "Twilight Bark" sequence is fantastic. We even get in some Lady and the Tramp characters. It's interesting because the "channel" is often used to spread gossip, but in this case is used to convey important news, which is oddly reminiscent of what we saw with social media during the Marathon Bombings. 
  • Colonel, Captain, and Sergeant Tibbs are a winning combo.  
  • Again, another interesting part of the film that feels close to life is the game show Jasper and Horace watch wherein the contestants have to guess the criminal's crime. It feels exactly like the type of reality/game show people would want to watch in this day and age. 
  • The suspense of the puppies escaping is actually really well done. As I noted last week, Sleeping Beauty was kind of missing that, so it's good to have some nice build up.
  • The puppies getting covered in soot is such a genius idea and is so well animated. As a kid I used to get so antsy about the soot being washed away as the dogs headed for the moving van.
  • Roger uncovering Pongo's true identity at the end of the movie is a classic bit, but I always did worry about how messy all that soot would make Roger and Anita's town home. 
So there are a dozen highlights/reasons I love 101 Dalmatians, enough to account for the Dalmatian collection I had growing up!

Next time I'll have commentary on Sword in the Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment